Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It Gets Better

Besides it being our three month friend-iversary with Mikey, I thought there would be nothing to blog about today.  I also realized that most of our posts lately have covered issues of "pop culture" which is something that we said we'd only occasionally do.  We are going to get back into our roots and find things that NEED coverage because they aren't getting the coverage they deserve.  Then I saw this post on Yahoo! News this morning about a blog called "Born This Way" --it was like a gift from heaven.  This blog is "a photo/essay project for gay adults to submit childhood pictures and stories, reflecting memories & early beginnings of their innate LGBTQ selves".  To me this is a thing of beauty, because it proves that being gay is not a choice--looking at these young children can inspire everyone, including questioning gay teens.  Both Gela and I are straight, but believe in equality for all.  It was perfect that this was posted today, because it is an Action Hero day at our college.  

I guess to continue with the theme of gay rights, I will discuss the Supreme Court ruling in the Westboro Baptist Church case.  Even though they are clearly spreading a message of hate, these people have free speech protection under the First Amendment.  "Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and -- as it did here -- inflict great pain. On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the majority.  I completely agree with having the right to express themselves--but there should be clear limitations here.  Amazing that America can be called the "land of the free" when people have the RIGHT to protest at military funerals--yet homosexuals still don't have marriage equality, isn't it?  

To learn more about the Westboro Baptist Church, check out this documentary by Louis Theroux:  The Most Hated Family in America .  As much as these people disturb me, I can't help the fact that I am FASCINATED by them.  Their lifestyle, their beliefs, their leader, their children.  It all just amazes me, how can people have so much hate inside of them?  The Westboro Baptist Church also happens to be the subject of my speech for my Intro to Communication class--in case anyone was interested.

For those people who are fans of marriage equality, you should check out the lovely Robbie & Allen.  They have entered the Ultimate Wedding Contest presented by Crate & Barrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment